FocusInquiring into the internal dynamics of adaptive, self-maintaining systems
- Knowledge is … current range of functional possibilities
- Knowing is … acting/responding appropriately
- Learner is … adaptive system
- Learning is … adapting, changing
- Teaching is … triggering
SynopsisCybernetic-Systems Discourses are concerned with the means by which elements of adaptive, self-maintaining systems communicate, coordinate, and co-regulate. Such systems can be organic, mechanical, or a combination. Associated discourses include:
- Cybernetic Epistemology – a philosophical engagement with matters associated with knowledge, meaning, learning, and learners that emerge in the context of more-than-human cybernetic systems.
CommentaryOne of the struggles faced by modern science has been to define “life.” For centuries, the prevailing strategy was to list necessary criteria (e.g., a living form must metabolize, must have some form of locomotion, and must respond to stimuli) – an approach that inevitably included some non-living forms while excluding some living forms. In the 1900s, Cybernetic-Systems Discourses was part of a movement toward another strategy, essentially defining living in terms of learning – that is, as dynamic and adaptive co-participation with/in other forms.
- Cybernetic Epistemology
Please cite this article as:
Davis, B., & Francis, K. (2022). “Cybernetic-Systems Discourses” in Discourses on Learning in Education. https://learningdiscourses.com.
⇦ Back to Map
⇦ Back to List